skip navigation
Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League

Stangs Await Arch Rival

By Michael Oleksyn - Melfort Journal, 03/24/15, 10:00AM CST


Semi-Final Opens Friday

The Melfort Mustangs will meet the Nipawin Hawks in the SJHL quarter-final series. The Mustangs defeated the Weyburn Red Wings four games to one to advance to the next round.  The Hawks defeated the Melville Millionaires four games to two in another quarter-final to set up the match up.

After beating the Red Wings the Mustangs were already prepared for the next series.

“You always look forward to getting a win in a series and look to what’s next and keep it going,” Mustangs’ forward Adam Fauchoux said.

“It’s nice to get it under our belt after we had a little break and we got our feet under us,” he added.

Faucoux noted that it took a game or two to really get playing after the bye because of the Mustangs first place finish.

“We were definitely excited to come out and start playing after two weeks and we really wanted to get back in it,” he explained.

The production in the series came from all four lines and the backline as well.

“We have all four lines rolling and doing their jobs which makes it a lot easier to play. Our defense is moving the puck well which makes it so much easier for the forwards to get going,” Fauchoux said.

The Mustangs clinched the quarter-final series with a 6-1 victory over the Red Wings on Friday, March 20 at the Northern Lights Palace.

Fauchoux scored his first of two goals and Tristan Frei  added another  seconds apart midway through the first period. Luc Lemire, Sheldon Argent and Travis Mayan had the other Mustangs’ goals.

Brandon Volpe scored the lone Red Wings’ goal.

Richard Palmer made 18 saves for the Mustangs.

For the fourth time in five games the Mustangs chased a Red Wings’ goalie from the net. Starter Jack Burgart was pulled after giving up three goals on nine shots in just over 15 minutes, he was replaced by Nick Malvin who made 19 saves in relief.

The Red Wings forced Game 5 of the SJHL quarter-finals with a 3-2 overtime win over the Mustangs on Wednesday March 18 in Weyburn. The Mustangs came back from one goal deficits twice in the game.
The Mustangs trailed 1-0 after the first and second period before coming back in the third.

Captain David Heath tied the game five minutes into the third period with his first playoff goal. Travis Mayan tied the game again with four minutes left in the game.

Aiden Teilborg scored both regulation time  goals for the Red Wings, the opening goal in the game by Teilborg was a strange one with Palmer out of his net and an odd bounce of the puck.

Connor Burk scored the game winner 2:33 into extra time.

Palmer made 19 saves for the Mustangs; Burgart made 36 saves for the Red Wings, marking the first game all series a Weyburn goalie has not been pulled.

 Game 1 of the best-of-seven SJHL semi-final will be in Melfort this Friday (March 27) at the Northern Lights Palace, game time is 7:30 p.m.

“We just know that we have to come out strong, we have come out throwing the body and just doing all of the little things right,” Fauchoux said.